Walmart withdraws ‘Sheik Fagin’ Nose From online Halloween store
- After receiving complaints on social networks, Walmart on Oct. 27 stopped selling a prosthetic nose, described on its website as “perfect for an Arab sheik.” Walmart acted just hours after the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee expressed its concern that the artificial nose would be used in “racist anti-Arab costumes.”
WHO said processed meat causes cancer
- The World Health Organization said Monday, Oct. 26 that eating processed meat such as sausages and ham causes cancer, while unprocessed red meat may be carcinogenic. The WHO defines processed meat as any type of meat that is cured, salted or smoked.
Carson supasses Trump in Times/CNBC poll
- Ben Carson takes lead from Donald Trump and now narrowly leads the Republican field in the race for the nomination in the latest national CBS News/New York Times Poll. Twenty-six percent of Republican primary voters support Carson, giving him a four-point edge over Trump.
Walgreens to buy Rite Aid in $17.2B deal
- Walgreens said on Oct. 27 that it will buy rival Rite Aid in a $17.2 billion deal that would shrink the nation’s drug-store industry into two massive chains. The deal would intensify competition between Walgreens and CVS Health.
MBTA makes creepy discovery in Government Center station
- While working this week, MBTA crew members discovered ghoulish garments in the Government Center Station. As part of the $82 million station renovation project, workers making repairs to the Blue Line platforms found garments that were wrapped around what appears to be a mask.
Quincy couple arrested after series of bank robberies along the East coast
- Joseph and Jenny Carrier, 37, of Quincy, were arrested in connection with bank robberies that occurred in Md., Fla., and Mass. Known as the “Quincy Bonnie and Clyde” the duo allegedly began their robbery spree in late Sept. The pair was arrested in Pa.
Stephanie Dawber is the Editor-in-Chief for The Comment newspaper. Follow her on Twitter @StephanieDawber.